This 2008 Chevrolet Colorado came in with the complaint that the blower would work sometimes however the condition had worsened and now it did not work at all. Up until now I have always found two common problems with the blower systems on these Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon and Isuzu I Series trucks.
If the blower works on high but does not work on some or most of the lower speeds the issue is a damaged blower resistor and harness connector. If this is your only issue you can find the needed parts here.
If the blower does not work on any speed the issue has always been a bad ground at splice pack located behind the engine air filter assembly.
Now it seems there is another cause for the blower not working at all. No power on the brown wire at the two wire blower motor harness connector. Of course if both power and ground are present at the blower motor harness connector and the blower does not work that would mean that the blower motor itself was faulty.
Power for the brown wire at the blower motor comes from the blower fuse in the underhood fuse box. It was both good and powered with the ignition on. Because of the design the fuse or the translucent fuse cover has to be removed to perform testing.
Since I had never encountered this exact problem before on this body style of truck, I went with general experience and checked the condition of the wiring under the fuse box. The brown wire in the white harness connector body is the power feed wire to the blower motor. There was no problem found here.
I looked around under the hood and under the dash to get a feel for how the wiring harnesses are routed. I decided the best place to investigate was behind the passenger side kick panel shown below.
There is an in line harness connector located behind that kick panel and if you look closely you should see a slight discolorization in the gray plastic body.
There is the problem. The terminals that connect the brown power feed wire have overheated and no longer connect the circuit through the connector body.
Since it was only one wire and it would have taken too much money and time to replace the whole connector, I elected to cut the wire on both sides of the connector body and splice them back togther with a new wire.
Now power has been restored to the brown wire at the blower motor harness connector.
Another one done.